jardin_2Kopfneu
Kopf-historie
Onlinebooking

 

 

 

 


Muster

History

History
The Jardin Hotel and Restaurant was built at the turn of the century. The original name was “Militärgarten”, meaning “Military Garden”. “Jardin” is French for “garden”.

1890 In the 19th century there was a restaurant called the “Militärgarden” on the same spot where the Jardin Hotel and Restaurant is located now. Bern was a garrison town and ruled the area. For many years, most of the customers who dined there were mostly from the Swiss military, stationed at the base and ordnance depot. Therefore the restaurant became known as “Militeargarten”. The building, surrounded by a garden, was one of the first properties on “Beundenfeld”.
The rest of the area was devoted to farming.
 

Daniel and Andreas Balz, your hosts

1900 Eventually, a residential area developed on the side of the river “Aare”, especially after the construction of the “Kornhausbruecke” and Lorrainebruecke” was completed. In 1928, a new building were constructed, which now forms part of the apartment complex. The most important section of this new building was the banquet hall that is still in use today.

1929 Ernst and Flora Balz-Kindler opened the restaurant under the name “Gesellschaftshaus Militaergarten”. A hotel did not exist at that time. The following years proved to be very difficult for the restaurant. First the Depression, and then the war in Europe, resulted in the most difficult period in the history of the business.
 

1953/54 Fritz and Margrit Balz-Beetschen took over the business. The couple changed the weekly ballroom dance into a discotheque called “Discorama Jardin.” It was probably one of the first discotheques in Switzerland. The "Disco-Dance Jardin" has been a great success for many years and remains so today.

To The Present In 1970 Fritz Balz bought the property from the Cardinal brewery. When Fritz Balz passed away in 1985, his twin sons, Daniel Balz and Andreas Balz, the third generation in the business, took over. The building was then converted into a hotel. In addition, the name of the restaurant changed. The nickname “Jardin” had existed for decades, and the brothers decided to stay with tradition and call their newly renovated restaurant the “Jardin Hotel and Restaurant”.

To The Present In 1970 Fritz Balz bought the property from the  Cardinal brewery. When Fritz Balz passed away in 1985, his twin sons, Daniel  Balz and Andreas Balz, the third generation in the business, took over. The  building was then converted into a hotel. In addition, the name of the  restaurant changed. The nickname “Jardin” had existed for decades, and the  brothers decided to stay with tradition and call their newly renovated  restaurant the “Jardin Hoteland Restaurant”.

Since 1880, when the building was originally built, numerous renovations and  building alterations have been made. Thanks to the tremendous work and ambition  of the Balz-families, the building is a modern and lively restaurant.

Beyond 2000 The future is already the present for the Balz-families.  They manage their “Jardin” with the same love and passion that has made it  successful for the last 70 years, assuring that it will continue to provide  excellent service and accommodations well into the next millenium.

Building inventory of the city Berne